Patrick Whitbred, Sports Senior Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Sports Update
Winter Basketball Season Timeline:
February 28: Winter Basketball program ends
Spring Sports Update
January 22-March 19: Registration Period (or until capacity has been reached)
March 1: Price increases $15
March 12-15: Spring Sports shop event at Dick’s Sporting Goods. Click here for the 20% off coupon
March 15: Spring Sports programs begin
March 27: Games begin
April 3-9: Spring Break – no games or practices
May 15: Spring Sports programs end
During these times, the Y is even more committed to keeping kids and everyone else safe, while allowing our kids to become active again! How exactly are we keeping kids, coaches, parents, staff, and our community safe? We are glad you asked!
Get H.Y.P.E.! Home School P.E.
For grades K-5, our curriculum-based program incorporates both physical activity and introduces our students to a variety of different sports. Our students will learn how to move their bodies and learn new sports skills through drills and games while having fun and making new friends! Click here for more information.
Scroll down to register!
Family-Friendly Registration Process
Our registration process will allow you to choose the practice day and time that is most convenient for your family. The practice day and time that you choose at registration will determine your team. Early registration is strongly encouraged as each team has a set number of participants and once a practice day and time has reached its player capacity that team will be full.
This is an online sports platform that is utilized for simplifying communication among coaches, players and YMCA sports staff. PLAYERSPACE is where you will find your roster, practice and game schedules, as well as contact information for those on your team. If you do not have a PLAYERSPACE account, you will receive an email asking you to set one up once the teams have been assigned. If you have an existing account, please log in after the date that teams have been assigned. PLAYERSPACE will be used for basketball, soccer, flag football, t-ball/baseball and volleyball.
Be a Coach!
As is the case with all recreational leagues, the Y program is built on dedicated volunteer coaches. If you are a great role model, have a fun-loving attitude, enjoy working with kids, and have good communication skills, you are qualified to become a head coach! The Y provides coach training and practice plans, along with help from staff members when needed. Coaching couldn’t get any easier! If you are interested, contact the Y staff listed below and tell them you want to make an impact this season! Coaches, please make sure to register your child as soon as possible to ensure they have a spot on the team, as we cannot hold spots on any team.
Sports Volunteer Coordinator
Virtual Spring Sports Coaches’ Meeting: Wednesday, March 10 at 6:00pm (email invite will be sent one week prior)
- 1 court available on Mondays/Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays from 6:00-9:00am
- Online reservations are required. Reservations may be made up to 24 hours in advance. Visit ymcanwnc.org/schedules to make your reservation. There is one slot for each one hour reservation. The person that reserves can bring up to 5 other people of similar skill. The court cannot exceed more than 6 players.
- One on one play and doubles play is now allowed.
- Each player needs to have their own pickleball for serving to reduce contact. We do not provide paddles or balls. Players must wear masks and remain 6 feet away from anyone not from their household, both during play and at all times.
Pick Up Basketball
- 2 gyms available all hours that the branch is in operation, 2 additional courts available Monday-Friday from 5:00am-7:00am and 6:00-8:00pm, Saturdays 8:00am-4:00pm, and Sundays, 12:00-4:00pm. They are first-come, first-served at this point. No reservation is required.
- A maximum of three people will be allowed to shoot at a hoop at any one time (with their own ball). Individuals may not play one another in a competitive game; they must shoot individually. However, they could engage in a game such as HORSE, where physical distancing was in place. Essentially, no one should be playing offense or defense against another person, AND everyone should physically distance at all times.
- Each member is required to bring their own basketball.
- Members are requested not to rebound another member’s basketball.
- An exception for the “limit of 3 per hoop” will be in place for families with more than three members. All family members are allowed to shoot together on a single hoop with a single ball.
- 2 gyms available all hours that the branch is in operation, 2 additional courts available Monday-Friday from 5:00am-7:00am and 6:00-8:00pm, Saturdays 8:00am-4:00pm, and Sundays, 12:00-4:00pm