From board members to youth sports coaches to smiling greeters, volunteers are the heart of the Y. Hundreds of business leaders, community members, parents, teens, and so many more dedicate their time and talent to strengthening their local community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Becoming a volunteer allows individuals to give back and learn something about themselves in the process. The Y is a nonprofit like no other. Get involved today.
All prospective volunteers must fill out an application and a background check authorization form. To apply to be a coach, click here. After that, call or stop by your local branch to find out more about getting involved with your YMCA.
- Welcome and introduce members, prospective members and program participants
- Assist with facility tours
- Assist with mailings, bulleting boards and special events
Coaching & Scorekeeping
- All youth sports such as basketball, soccer, flag football and T-ball.
Many of our volunteer opportunities are available through the YMCA’s Community Outreach Programs. For more information on all of these programs and how you can help, please contact your local branch. We are continually looking for volunteers for the following programs:
Hispanic Mentoring Programs
- Mentor a Hispanic youth and/or family.
- Participate with field trips and community services activities
- Lead a career cluster
- Recruit new volunteers
- Assist with fundraising
- Teach an adult to read (Adult Reading Program)
- Teach an adult to read and speak English (English As A Second Language Program)
- Interested in Volunteering? Email or call us at 336 727 9850
- Click here for more information on our Literacy Initiative
And Many Other Ways
- Nursery help
- Working with active older adults
- and more!
Family Literacy – El Nido “the Nest” Program
- Assist students with homework.
- Assist, one-on-one, with preschoolers to help prepare them for school success.
- Donate gently-used or new children’s books (infants to young readers).
- Make a financial donation to allow us to purchase supplementary materials and books to build children’s libraries at home.
- Assist students with homework
- Plan and initiate activities
- Provide and lead recreation activities
- Be a mentor to our students.
- Make a financial donation to allow us to purchase snacks, supplies and materials.