Our Mission: “Helping all people reach their God-given potential in spirit, mind and body.”
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Vision Statement:
The Y is a place where common ground thrives and people of all walks of life can belong. We approach diversity and inclusion through the Christian principles of love, compassion, kindness, and respect. The YMCA of Northwest North Carolina will promote and exemplify togetherness. We value, encourage, and nurture the contributions that each person makes to our increasingly diverse association and the community we serve.
The YMCA of Northwest North Carolina infuses its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work through:
The concept of the DEI tree derives from a need to further understand who we are and our mission: "Helping all people reach their God given potential in spirit, mind and body." A tree represents life, wisdom and power. It is essential to the environment and the healthy development of human life. The work of diversity, equity and inclusion is an essential and central part of the tree, acting as a vehicle of change from our past to our present. DEI work helps us acknowledge, understand and reckon with our past as we embody our authentic selves while engaging in the experiences of transforming our communities.
- All YMCA branches, facilities and programs are welcoming to the entire community.
- Our Association Board of Directors reflects the diversity of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina Association service area.
- Our Branch Board of Advisors reflects the diversity of the branch service area.
- Our Staff Leadership (Association, Operations and Experience Circles) reflects the diversity of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina community and service area.
- Our Staff reflects the diversity of the community and the service area.
- Our Membership reflects the diversity of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina community and service area.
- Processes are in place to promote inclusion and equity throughout the association.
- All association and branch marketing materials, artwork, pictures and displays reflect the diversity of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina community.
- The association is integrally involved in the community as it relates to diversity and inclusion.
- Association assessments are regularly conducted to gather data, monitor progress and develop plans.
- Association/Branch staff and volunteers participate in diversity and inclusion awareness and educational opportunities.
YMCA of the USA Diversity, Equity and Global Engagement
Learn more about the YMCA of the USA's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and global engagement here. YMCA of the USA is the governing body of YMCAs across the U.S.