We believe every child deserves to learn – regardless of their ability to pay
YMCA Summer Learning Academies (SLAs) give students the opportunity to stay on grade level while having a great time in a structured environment. The program is focused on fighting summer learning loss that can negatively impact students. Summer Learning Academies help students build confidence and positive relationships. Learning is made fun through hands-on activities, experiments, field trips, and more.
SLAs are five or six week programs where K-5 students attend one of the following sites in Forsyth County: North Hills, Ashley, Ward, Diggs-Latham, Kernersville, and Ibraham and continue their education during the summer. The program includes:
- Lessons aligned with the local school district and developed by a certified teacher from the district.
- Students taught by teachers from local schools.
- Breakfast, lunch and snack served.
- Weekend meal packs from Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Safety Around Water program, which teach basic swimming skills and water safety to prevent drowning.
- Parents attended weekly educational workshops.
In Iredell County, the program took place at Third Creek Elementary and included NB Mills, Cloverleaf and East Elementary Schools and served 40 children. In Wilkes County, it will take place at North Wilkesboro Elementary School.
*Percentage of students who were pre- and post-tested
For more information on Forsyth County, please contact Bonita Patton at email@example.com or 336.727.4849. For Iredell County, please contact or click here for more information. For Wilkes County, contact Kim Dalton at firstname.lastname@example.org.