Lifeguard Certification Classes
- During this class, participants will learn life-saving rescue skills for an Aquatic Environment. Once a participant takes the classes and passes the skills and written test, they will be certified as a YMCA Lifeguard for 2 years.
Lifeguard Course Prerequisites
- Complete medical clearance (recommended)
- Minimum age 16. If under the age of 18, participant must have parental consent to take this course.
- Pass the following swimming test:
- Tread water for two minutes without using arms then swim a 100 front crawl
- Swim a 50 each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, breaststroke kick on back
- Feet first surface dive to bottom, swim 15 feet, then surface
- Sprint approximately 20 meters, arm first surface dive to retrieve an object, then tread water for 1 minute without using hands
- Replace object on bottom, climb out of pool and perform 100 CPR compressions.
Must Be Able To Accomplish These Tasks
- Remain alert, with no lapses in consciousness
- Sit for extended periods, including in an elevated chair
- Move to various locations, including in and around an elevated chair
- Communicate verbally, including projecting the voice across distances
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment
- Observe all areas of the aquatic environment
- Perform all needed rescues and survival skills
- Think in the abstract, solve problems, make decisions, instruct, evaluate, supervise, and remember
- Will possess the skills to operate alone as a lifeguard, with or without other lifeguard support.