The Y is proud to offer a variety of Active Older Adults programs committed to helping seniors maintain a healthy lifestyle and strengthen social ties. Participants in the program enjoy group outings, health education seminars, group fitness classes, volunteer opportunities and events designed to promote mental agility, good health and independence. Basic daily exercise provides many health benefits and may decrease illness, chronic disease, fatigue and the risk of falling.
Questions? Contact Anne Groce – Active Older Adults Coordinator. Phone: (336) 838-3991 Email: email@example.com
Branches of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina will now offer Silver&Fit® memberships, available with participating insurance plans.
Health plans offer the Silver&Fit® Exercise and Healthy Aging Program to eligible Medicare Advantage/Supplement beneficiaries and group retirees. The program aims to improve quality of life. As a Silver&Fit member, you’ll get to work out more, meet new friends, and be more social. The Silver&Fit program is a product of American Specialty Health Fitness, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH).
The YMCA of Northwest North Carolina also offers SilverSneakers® memberships, available with participating health plans. SilverSneakers is a preventative exercise program that enhances the quality of life for older adults across the country. Through the program, members gain access to customized SilverSneakers classes that improve strength, flexibility, balance and endurance.
Retirees and those eligible for Medicare can check with their Health Care provider to see if they qualify for a Silver&Fit® or SilverSneakers® membership, which provides a Y membership at no cost to the participant.
SilverSneakers® is a preventative exercise program that enhances the quality of life for older adults across the country. Retirees and those eligible for Medicare can check with their Health Care provider to see if they qualify for SilverSneakers®, which gives participant a free membership to the Y. Through the program, members gain access to customized SilverSneakers® classes that improve strength, flexibility, balance and endurance. This program combines health, wellness and fitness so seniors feel empowered and build friendships.
- Court 2 Monday-Friday 7:00-11:00am; Saturday 8:00-11:00am (Saturdays currently on hold for the youth winter basketball season)
- Reservation required for play, and can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Click here: https://ymcanwnc.org/locations/wilkes-family-ymca/schedules/
- Only 1 on 1 play allowed at this time.
- No more than 2 other players can be part of a rotating play.
- Masks required when not working out.
- Social distancing expected while waiting for play time.
- Members asked to move the net from Court 1 at start of play time, and to return back to Court 1 when play time is over.
Pick Up Basketball
- 1 court available Monday-Friday 5:00-7:00am, 11:00am-1:00pm and 4:00-8:00pm; Saturday 11:00am-1:00pm.
- They are first-come, first-served at this point. No reservation is required.
- A maximum of three people will be allowed to shoot at a hoop at any one time (with their own ball). Individuals may not play one another in a competitive game; they must shoot individually. However, they could engage in a game such as HORSE, where physical distancing was in place. Essentially, no one should be playing offense or defense against another person, AND everyone should physically distance at all times.
- Each member is required to bring their own basketball.
- Members are requested not to rebound another member’s basketball.
- An exception for the “limit of 3 per hoop” will be in place for families with more than three members. All family members are allowed to shoot together on a single hoop with a single ball.