Sidney Rhodes, Sports Coordinator, email@example.com
The YMCA of Northwest North Carolina Association aspires to be an outstanding recreational youth sports organization by providing fun, memorable seasons to our athletes, coaches, and parents. Each athlete should feel like an important part of the team, regardless of performance, and learn the skills, tactics, and strategies of the game to improve as a player.
Winter Sports Update
Winter Basketball Season Timeline:
October 19: December 11: Registration Period (or until capacity has been reached)
December 5-7: Winter Basketball Shop Event at Dick’s Sporting Goods. Click here for your 20% off coupon.
December 7: Winter Basketball program begins
December 21-January 1: Winter Break – no practices
January 9: Games begin
February 28: Winter Basketball program ends
During these times, the Y is even more committed to keeping kids and everyone else safe, while allowing our kids to become active again! How exactly are we keeping kids, coaches, parents, staff, and our community safe? We are glad you asked!
Family-Friendly Registration Process
Our registration process will allow you to choose the practice day and time that is most convenient for your family. The practice day and time that you choose at registration will determine your team. Early registration is strongly encouraged as each team has a set number of participants and once a practice day and time has reached its player capacity that team will be full.
This is an online sports platform that is utilized for simplifying communication among coaches, players and YMCA sports staff. PLAYERSPACE is where you will find your roster, practice and game schedules, as well as contact information for those on your team. If you do not have a PLAYERSPACE account, you will receive an email asking you to set one up once the teams have been assigned. If you have an existing account, please log in after the date that teams have been assigned. PLAYERSPACE will be used for basketball, soccer, flag football, t-ball/baseball and volleyball.
Be a Coach!
As is the case with all recreational leagues, the Y program is built on dedicated volunteer coaches. If you are a great role model, have a fun-loving attitude, enjoy working with kids, and have good communication skills, you are qualified to become a head coach! The Y provides coach training and practice plans, along with help from staff members when needed. Coaching couldn’t get any easier! If you are interested, contact the Y staff listed below and tell them you want to make an impact this season! Coaches, please make sure to register your child as soon as possible to ensure they have a spot on the team, as we cannot hold spots on any team.
Virtual Coaches’ Meeting: Thursday, December 3 at 6:00pm (email invite will be sent)
Winter Volleyball League
Adult Volleyball offers a fun and exciting atmosphere with friends, co-workers, church groups and family. It is also a great way to meet new people and make new friends. Players may sign up as an individual or together as a team.
Orientation and Season begins January 17
Sunday, January 17 will serve as Orientation and the season will begin. Teams will be announced on this date and given time to introduce themselves to one another. We will also go over major rules. No pre-season will be held this season.
Each team must have at least two females on the court at all times. The league will consist of a 6 v 6 format. Only 1 spectator will be permitted per player. Maximum of 6 teams, 48 individuals for this season. For the rest of our league rules, please click here. For the permissions and waiver for underage adults, please click here.
- Online reservations are required. Reservations may be made up to 24 hours in advance. Visit ymcanwnc.org/schedules to make your reservation. Each reservation will be for 2-4 people for 1 hour. An additional pair of pickleball players can watch and rotate games (still one-on-one) during a reserved time.
- One on one play only, no doubles.
- Each player needs to have their own pickleball for serving to reduce contact.
- 2 courts available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00am-1:00pm
- Continuing with one person allowed per court for practicing only.
- 2 courts available during all operational hours
Pick Up Basketball
- Available court space and times will vary by branch. They are first-come, first-served at this point. No reservation is required.
- A maximum of three people will be allowed to shoot at a hoop at any one time (with their own ball). Individuals may not play one another in a competitive game; they must shoot individually. However, they could engage in a game such as HORSE, where physical distancing was in place. Essentially, no one should be playing offense or defense against another person, AND everyone should physically distance at all times.
- Each member is required to bring their own basketball.
- Members are requested not to rebound another member’s basketball.
- An exception for the “limit of 3 per hoop” will be in place for families with more than three members. All family members are allowed to shoot together on a single hoop with a single ball.
- 2 courts available on Monday/Wednesday/Fridays from 9:00am- 12:30pm, and Monday-Friday from 4:00-7:30pm, Saturdays 8:00am-12:30pm