Stokes Family YMCA
Wise Start is a Smart Start grant funded program designed for the preschool aged population. Wise Start offers physical and nutritional activities to child care centers throughout Stokes Co. These activities encourage preschool children and subsequently their families to adopt healthier lifestyle options.
Wise Start is not just focusing on the health benefits it has to offer, but a big part of this program focuses on teacher / child interaction. We want to see teachers more engaged with the children. By doing so, this gives our preschoolers a wonderful learning environment, with warm, inviting, caring teachers. We want to see all childcare facilities in Stokes Co strive to be a 4 star center or higher. Wise Start encourages teachers and caregivers to give the highest quality of childcare possible.
These children are our future and deserve the best. Let’s work together to help them receive a “Wise Start” in life.
Ask your child’s caregiver about Wise Start today!
Contact our Outreach Specialist Amy Brewster at firstname.lastname@example.org 336 985 9622
keeping Kids Active: Homeschool P.E
The Stokes Family YMCA would like to provide your child with a healthy fun filled P.E. class for an hour and a half, once a week program. We will include many spectacular activities from the National Youth Fitness Standard tests, Basketball, Soccer, Running, Racquetball, Water Polo & Water Safety and most importantly their nutrition. We will also incorporate other tradition school year activities such as Field Day, Jump Rope for the YMCA and Hoop for Hearts. In addition, your child will socialize and interact with many other children their age.
8 Week Session begins:
March 5- April 30 2:00 pm- 3:30 pm
Class will not run on April 2
More dates will come for the 2013/2014 School Year by March 5th
$25 for Members per child; $60 max for 3 or more children
$30 for Potential Members per child; $75 max for 3 or more children
$5 for Members & Potential Members per child drop in fee for those not registered for 8 week program
Questions? Please Contact:
Stokes Program Center
Hours of Operation
Friday 10:00 am-2:00 pm
We have 3 ellipticals and 2 bicycles that can be used daily free of charge.
Amanda Dickerson, Program Coordinator email@example.com
Ages: all ages
Every Tuesday night in the community room, join all ages for games of cornhole! The fun starts at 4:00 p.m. and ends at 6:00 p.m.
Season: Every Tuesday night
We Work To Make Your Day Special
The party room will be decorated in a color of your choice: pink, purple, blue or green. We provide an energetic host to make your child’s birthday special, a free birthday t-shirt for the birthday child, all paper products (tablecloths, plates, utencils, napkins, decorations) enough for the number of kids attending.
How To Reserve Your Party
- Decide on a few possible dates for your child’s party.
- Reservations fill quickly, so please book a minimum of two weeks prior to your preferred date.
- Call the Stokes Family YMCA at 336-985-9622 to set up a day and time to meet to arrange the birthday party and to fill out necessary paperwork. Payment is taken in the form of cash, check or credit card at the time of reservation. One week cancellation is necessary; however, there is a $50 administration fee that is non-refundable.
- Invite your guests to have fun at your Stokes Family YMCA birthday party!
YMCA members: $150
Potential members: $200
1 additional hour of an activity: $50
Pizza and drinks: $35
All parties are for up to 12 children. For each additional child, the cost is $4.00.
Saturdays: 12:00 – 2:00pm
Sundays: 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Big Splash Party
- Basketball Party
- Volleyball Party
- The party rooms comfortably accommodate 30 guests or less.
- A refrigerator and freezer are available for food storage on the day of your party. Please bring food that is already cooked.
- A birthday cake is not included in the price of the party.
- The hosting family may arrive 30 minutes before the start of the party.
- All parents must sign a Release from Liability form upon arrival.
- The hosting family will be responsible for signing for those children whose parents are not present.
- The birthday child will receive a free Y birthday party t-shirt.
- Want a theme not seen here? We may be able to accommodate a special theme at your request, but please allow several weeks notice.
For more information contact Misty Cummings, Senior Program Director at 336-985-9622.
The YMCA Literacy Initiative offers El Nido (“The Nest”), which is a family literacy program that takes place on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6 to 9 p.m. at Hall-Woodward Elementary School. El Nido, which is based on the Mother Read curriculum, provides book-based activities for children while their parents participate in ESL classes. There is also Parent and Child Together time (PACT time) built into the curriculum, which provides an opportunity for parents and children to work together on book-based projects.
Julie Weber, ESL/Family Literacy Coordinator at (336) 727-9850
The YMCA has a long history of bringing parents and children together for life enriching experiences. This history has left a legacy of strengthened relationships and close bonds in many families and communities around the country. The YMCA of Northwest North Carolina has been a part of the Y-Indian Guide/Adventure Guides program for more than 30 years. Adventure Guides currently serves 20 tribes with over 400 participants in Forsyth, Stokes, Davie, Yadkin, and Wilkes Counties. Collectively, these tribes form the Adventure Guides Saura Nation.
The Adventure Guides Program aims to strengthen the bond between fathers and their children through activities that allow them to spend quality time together. Based on strong traditions of the Native American Culture including dignity, patience, endurance, spirituality, concern for the Earth and family values, these programs are tools that will help build memories that will last a lifetime.
What are some benefits to participating?
Through Adventure Guides, the YMCA provides the following benefits to father and child:
- Foster companionship and understanding and set a foundation for positive, lifelong relationships between father and child
- Build a sense of self-esteem and personal worth
- Expand awareness of body, mind, and spirit
- Provide a framework to meet a mutual need of spending enjoyable, constructive, and quality time together
- Enhance the quality of family time
- Emphasize the vital role parents play in the growth and development of their children
- Offer an important and unique opportunity to develop & enjoy volunteer leadership skills
- Opportunity to meet other families with children the same age
For further information, please contact Andrew Plyer, Adventure Guides Director, at (336) 721-2100 x 6267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.