Returning Sports To Kids
The Jerry Long Family YMCA aspires to be an outstanding youth sports organization that returns sports to kids.
1) Creating Outstanding Player Experiences
- Athletes have fun at practices and games.
- Athletes develop strong character and learn life lessons that have value beyond the playing field.
- Athletes feel like an important part of the team regardless of performance.
- Athletes develop a lifestyle of healthy living.
- Athletes learn the skills, tactics, and strategies of the game and improve as a player.
2) Changing the Culture of Youth Sports
- Redefining what it means to be a winner
- Providing coaches the tools they need to be successful coaches and leaders
- Raising awareness for, and guarding against, dysfunctional behavior
Click here to download a copy of this vision statement.
As a parent, you need to stay in the know about your child’s sports experience. Below are a collection of resources that will allow you to do just that. Many of the questions that you might have will reside right here. But if there is something we missed, feel free to contact us at the information below.
Bob Ross – Associate Sports Director
Phone: (336) 712-2000
Coach Portal (Password protected)
Spring Sports Information
Scroll down to see all of the options for your child, and to save time and register online!
Winter Sports Information
Pick Up Basketball
Adult Pick-Up Basketball is all about competition, exercise, relationship building, staying fit, and developing a healthy lifestyle while enjoying a great time! All skill levels are welcome.
Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:00am and 5:30pm
Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:30am
Free for members!
No need to sign up in advance, just come ready to play and meet new people that enjoy basketball as much as you do!
Come out and join a game that combines tennis, racquetball, ping pong and squash. Pickleball is a great way to combine fun and fitness.
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9am-12pm.
You don’t need to sign up in advance, just show up ready to play!
Be a Coach!
As is the case with all recreational leagues, the Y program is built on dedicated volunteer coaches. If you are a great role model, have a fun-loving attitude, enjoy working with kids, and have good communication skills, you are qualified to become a head coach! The Y provides coach training and practice plans, along with help from staff members when needed. Coaching couldn’t get any easier! If you are interested, contact the Y staff listed above and tell them you want to make an impact this season!