The Davie Family YMCA offers swim lessons, water fitness classes, and the TYDE Swim Team.
For more information,please contact: Paul Coppinger, Aquatics coordinator, at (336) 751-9622.
The pool will be closed 8/24-9/8 for maintenance.
Mon – Thur: 5:00am – 8:45pm
Davie Family YMCA
Lifeguard Certification Classes
During this class, participants will learn life-saving rescue skills for an Aquatic Environment. Once a participant takes the classes and passes the skills and written test, they will be certified as a YMCA Lifeguard for 2 years.
Lifeguard Course Prerequisites:
- Complete medical clearance (recommended)
- Minimum age 16. If under the age of 18, participant must have parental consent to take this course.
- Pass the following swimming test:
- Tread water for two minutes without using arms then swim a 100 front crawl
- Swim a 50 each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, breaststroke kick on back
- Feet first surface dive to bottom, swim 15 feet, then surface
- Sprint approximately 20 meters, arm first surface dive to retrieve an object, then tread water for 1 minute without using hands
- Replace object on bottom, climb out of pool and perform 100 CPR compressions.
Must be able to accomplish these tasks:
- Remain alert, with no lapses in consciousness
- Sit for extended periods, including in an elevated chair
- Move to various locations, including in and around an elevated chair
- Communicate verbally, including projecting the voice across distances
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment
- Observe all areas of the aquatic environment
- Perform all needed rescues and survival skills
- Think in the abstract, solve problems, make decisions, instruct, evaluate, supervise, and remember
- Will possess the skills to operate alone as a lifeguard, with or without other lifeguard support.
Click here to view our upcoming classes.
At the Y, we believe that the ability to swim is a critical life skill for each child, teen, and adult. We offer group lessons on Tuesdays/Thursdays, Monday-Thursday, Saturdays, and private lessons by appointment. Lessons provide a fun, easy-going learning environment for all swimmers to help overcome fears, build confidence, and develop skills that last a lifetime.
April 1-24 (8 lessons)
May 6-29 (8 lessons)
Preschool and Youth: 5:30 – 6:00 pm
$45/members, $90/potential members
Registration due prior to classes starting.
April 5-27 (4 lessons)
May 3-31 (4 lessons) – no class May 24
Parent/toddler: 9:30-10:00 am
Pre-school: 10:15-10:45 am
$25/members, $50/potential members
Registration due prior to classes starting.
Parent/child lessons (ages 6-36 months)
This program provides an early water experience for children from six months to three years. Children progress from water adjustment activities through basic water skills. Program instruction is directed toward helping parents work with their children. One adult must accompany each child. Classes are 30 minutes
Preschool Lessons (3-5yrs)
This class introduces children to their first experience swimming without a parent. It is a great way for kids to learn how to be independent and have fun in the pool. A trained swim instructor teaches this class using the Y core values in 30 minute lessons. Children learn at their own pace moving through our four skill levels. Preschool swim levels are Pike, Eel, Ray, and Starfish.
Youth lessons (ages 6-15 years)
This class consists of six levels, which focus on stroke development, water safety, personal growth, and fun. A trained swim instructor works with children at their own pace using the YMCA core values, building self-esteem as well as self confidence through swimming. Youth swim levels are Polliwog, Guppy, Minnow, Fish, Flying Fish, and Shark. Classes are 45 minutes.
Adult (ages 16-up)
This class is for any adult from beginner through advanced. A trained swim instructor works with you moving at your own pace, learning basic stroke development, and water safety. Classes are 45 minutes.
Private lessons are available Saturdays at 11:30am-12:00pm & 12:00-12:30pm and Tuesdays/Thursdays at 5:30-6:00pm & 6:00-6:30pm. Please schedule private lessons in advance by contacting the Y at (336) 751.9622.
The Davie Family YMCA offers a variety of Water Aerobics Classes in order to meet the needs of many levels of fitness. Classes are free to members.
Ages: all ages
Adult and children can register for individual lessons. Each lesson is 30 minutes. Several instructors and time slots are available. Contact Belinda Butcher at 751-9622 to schedule
Cost: $25 for 1 lesson/$90 for 4 lessons for members
$50 for 1 lesson/$180 for 4 lessons for potential members
TYDE Swim Team
Ages: open to all ages who meet the prerequisite
TYDE is a USA Swimming and YMCA swim team offering a full range of competitive programming for all ages. Originally started in 1973 as WSY, we have grown to become one of the largest and most respected swim teams in North Carolina and across the country. Whether you are looking for a gentle introduction to competitive swimming, a nationally ranked training program or anything in between, TYDE has what you’re looking for!
Learn more at swimtyde.org.